Sunday, February 22, 2009

chair to table

Every time I pull into my desk, I sit on my rolling office chair, and grip the edge of the table with both hands, and slide myself in - close to the desk. I have noticed that I need to use both hands, since I guess my weight weighs on the chair. This is probably also intentional, so the chair doesn't slide loosely, although that could be acomplished with wheels that glide much more smoothly, and control to stabilize the chair, like the clicker some chairs have on one of the wheels.

I remember hearing about how midgets exert themselves, when clamoring to sit on a regular sized chair, and this lowers their lifespan years. So I was thinking about a cord that pulls the seat, close to the table, and you can snap it off with a simple seatbelt like buckle. But actually- this could probably be done with a strong magnet. In the future we may see furniture with a button pad near the seat-arm side which controls sliding the chair back /from the table edge, and stabilizing it from rolling to unmovable position.

1 comment:

mentality said...

I think it's a great idea. However, you would want to make sure light metal objects like paper clips were in a secure location so as not to have them pulled in by the magnet. I think this would be a great item for small children who, until about 9 years old, struggle with getting themselves seated at the table properly. This creates aggravation on the part of the parents who have to clean up the mess on the floor from the kid being too far away from the table. This invention would solve that while saving a lot of humiliation and frustration on the part of the children. Obviously, there is also a serious market for persons with disabilities as well.