Wednesday, December 8, 2010

brain-controlled warm weather

One of the things that blows about winter is the cold clammy, rigid, sticky-dry feeling of moving your joints / muscles against cold shirt fabric. In situations where I am outdoors or in a big space without great heating, I wish there was a pill I could take that would trick my brain into feeling warm and ignore the coldness in the room and on my skin.

Drinking liquor or alcohol to stay warm actually only tricks you into feeling warm, while it actually makes surface blood vessels open wider. This changes the blood flow and causes the core to lose heat faster. You will feel warmer but actually be getting colder.

Could the brain be chemically programmed to temporarily think and feel like the weather conditions weren't quite as cold. This would take the edge off and make an annoying situation one is stuck in anyway -more comfortable. I am not talking about a hypothermia risk, all I need is for my brain think that it is 10-20 degrees warmer. It seems more economical to turn up the heating thermostat neurologically. And from what I've read, the (moderate) cold weather helps immunity.

No comments: